Together with a wide ensemble of acclaimed artists, Erik Odijk once more transformed the villa of landscape painter Emile Van Doren (1865-1949) into a halting-place. In the garden of the museum, you will find the ‘Verzamelplaats van Gedenkstenen voor Verloren Dierbaren’ (Erik Odijk), the ‘Voorspelmodule’ (Vaast Colson), ‘A meteorite named Erika’ (Erik Odijk) and ‘Een Landschap voor de schilder’ by Rudy J. Luijters. He performed a number of interventions in the garden, which will develop themselves in the upcoming years.
Inside the villa, you could see until 5 October 2014 testimonies of works that find their origin in the landscape and the metamodernist base.
A stone as a symbol of remembrance. A stone as a ritual object to commemorate someone. A collection of stones to bring together all those thoughts and memories and transform them into a memorial monument. De ROCK show creates a place for these cherished stones. In that place, the meaning of the stones becomes unambiguous. It symbolises the personal treasuring and fascination that surround these items that were once picked up, or specifically sought out, as symbols and artefacts that form a personal memory of a bygone love. In this special place near the Emile Van Doren Museum in Genk, these personal memories, projected onto the sublime objects from prehistoric times, bind the energy and the emotional and mental power together into a collective energy.
Artists participating in De ROCK show: Jean Bernard Koeman, Rudy J. Luijters, Ives Maes, Melanie Bonajo, Jimmie Durham, Franziz Denyz, Vaast Colson, Erlend Williamson, Tom Wolseley, Ania Rachmat, Lara de Moor, PINK de Thierry, François Roffiaen, supplemented with a Philosophers Stone and artworks from the collection of the Emile Van Doren Museum, a.o. Emile Van Doren (1865-1949), Joseph Coosemans (1828-1904), Ludovic Janssen (1888-1956), Herman Richir (1866-1942) and Elinor Barnard (1872-1942).
Idea and implementation: Erik Odijk (in collaboration with Bernie Deekens)
MAP – MakeArtProjects provides assistance to the artists for the coordination and production of De ROCK show.
Design of printed materials and billboard for Melanie Bonajo: Yvonne van Versendaal
With thanks to:
Z33, Toneelhuis Antwerpen, EWAF (Erlend Williamson Art Fellowship), the Kröller Müller Museum (Philosophers Stone), Gemeentemuseum Helmond (PINK de Thierry), Stedelijk Museum Ieper (François Roffiaen), Yvonne van Versendaal (design) and MAP – Make Art Projects (coordination and technical implementation), Kristof Reulens and Ann Gielen of the Emile van Doren Museum, Tom van Gestel, and of course initiator Erik Odijk, for his boundless energy and commitment.
Made possible by:
Melotte – Direct Digital Manufacturing
°1959, Deventer (NL), lives and works in Amsterdam and Nijmegen (NL)
Erik Odijk makes drawings of nature and is known for his immensely large works in which the viewer’s gaze can literally wander around. His work oscillates between the realms of the sublime (the great, rough and chaotic) and beauty (the small, smooth, soft and rich). During his travels abroad, Odijk seeks out special places in nature, which he captures on film. The making of the photograph is done in as precise a manner as the drawing itself and forms an essential part of his work. The photos upon which his drawings are based are often given an autonomous place in his work. After an intensive process of sifting through the available material, Erik Odijk translates his photographic imagery into charcoal and pastel drawings, on both large and small formats, both in his studio and on site.
Erik Odijk, fascinated by geology and stone formation, was inspired by the typical devil’s stones of Genk. These are large hard sandstones with irregular shapes. Sometimes they include a sort of horseshoe-shaped imprint, reminiscent of the goat’s leg of the devil. There are devil’s stones at Kattevennen, in the woods near the entrance gate of the National Park Hoge Kempen.
Emile Van Doren (b. Brussels, 1865 / +Genk 1949) was born into a Brussels family of butchers and studied briefly at the Faculty of Pharmacy of the University of Brussels. Unbeknownst to his parents, he had also enrolled in the Brussels Academy, where he found his true vocation and specialised in landscape painting. In around 1890, Emile Van Doren travelled to Genk, which at that time was a famous haven for artists and writers. Emile Van Doren fell in love, not only with the vast Campine landscape, but also with Cidonie Raikem, the manageress of an inn on the Stationsstraat. Together they turned this place into the Hotel des Artistes. From then on, the desolate moors, the shimmering and marshy swamps of Genk and its surroundings become the exclusive subject of his paintings. In 1913, Van Doren has the villa Le Coin Perdu built, overlooking the Molenvijver (Mill Pond), which today houses the Emile Van Doren Museum.
The Emile Van Doren Museum tells the story of the special place Genk was for painters in the period between 1840 and 1940. The museum bears the name of one of the painters who, after one initial visit, embraced Genk in his heart forever. Emile Van Doren (1865-1949), a butcher’s son from Brussels, visited Genk for the first time as a student of the Académie des Beaux-Arts in the late 1880s. A few years later, Van Doren came to live in Genk for good. Together with his wife Cidonie Raikem he established the Hôtel des Artistes. Later they moved, together with their daughter Stephanie (Fanny) to the Villa Le Coin Perdu, along the Verloren Kostweg (now the Henri Decleenestraat). After the death of her father, Fanny inherited Le Coin Perdu. In 1956 she bequeathed the Villa Le Coin Perdu and its contents to the city of Genk. In 1976, the Emile Van Doren Museum opened its doors. In addition to the rich collection of Emile Van Doren, the museum collection has been expanded in recent years with donations and targeted acquisitions and tells, in this way, the entire story of the Genk, the painter’s place.
Emile Van Doren Museum
Henri Decleenestraat 21 – Genk
OPEN: Emile Van Doren Museum Thu > Sun – 2 p.m. > 6 p.m. | The artworks on the grounds outside are always accessible.
The Emile Van Dorenmuseum is only partially accessible for wheelchair users: the garden and the ground floor of the museum are accessible. There is also public parking for disability parking permit holders.